href="http://technorati.com/blogs/what%27s+on+my+mind+today" rel="tag directory">what's on my mind today.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

 

Sleeping like a baby

Save to RawSugar

Now, this is something I must comment on. Unfortunately, I cannot understand this phrase at all. You may wonder: why? I mean, all the words are in plain English, so what is the problem? What is it there not to grasp? Why would anyone even waste their time (and your's if you are still reading this) to figure out something that is so obivious?

Well, here we go. In my own personal opinion, this phrase can mean different things to different people. For example, if you think that babies just eat and sleep, eat and sleep, Sleeping like a baby would be a really positive thing: no worries, I can sleep.
BUT if your expert knowledge is otherwise different, such that babies have a hard time sleeping, waking up screaming all the time, perhpas from a nightmare, well sleeping like a baby means a whole different story to you. Doesn't it?

tags: ,,

Comments:
I agree from experience that infants are often fitful. I remember how hard our first son made our lives. He didn't sleep through a single night until he was nearly 7 months...and he was loud.

My wife nursed. I understand that bottle babies sleep more.

And did he ever nurse. He was voracious, often on for 60 or 90 minutes at a feeding. She said it was the only time she ever got to read all the New Yorker.

He was up several times a night.

We staggered in fatigue through our days. If we were abed when he started crying for milk, I'd go to the crib to bring him over. Babies are very fortunate they are so round-faced and cute. I could be livid with anger and tiredness. Then, he'd see me, smile or giggle and reach arms up for me. Suddenly, all was right.

But to your post, there were many times he would collapse in sleep on my chest. His body was limp and breathing deep and regular.

Adults and even toddlers carry so much emotional baggage, so much doubt, that they are never that trusting. They can never sleep like a baby that way.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?