href="http://technorati.com/blogs/what%27s+on+my+mind+today" rel="tag directory">what's on my mind today.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

 

Basketball

Save to RawSugar

My favorite sport.
I love watching it and definately playing.
I played a few times in teams from work, and that was lots of fun.

I always played one on one with friends, but playing as a team gave it a totally different way of thinking.

So what do I actually love about it? It is a sport that uses your whole being. It takes advantage of everything you have and allows you to grow and improve in areas that you are lacking.
I divide this into two categories: brain activity and physical fitness.
Basketball is a team sport, you learn to share, strategize, out-think your opponent, always be a few steps ahead in your actions and learn to read the mind of your team members. It develops your senses through practice, trial and error. You need to learn to trick your rival into thinking one thing, while you actually do something else.
In terms of the physical fitness, you need to use every part of your body. Strong legs are necessary for running and jumping. Strong hands and arms are needed for dribling, shooting, grabbing, and throwing the ball. This is a great cardio-vascular activity, especially if you play full-court. You can run around like crazy.

When I lived in the US, in the summertime, we would play at lunch time, just a few of us. The courts weren't that great, but it was the outdoor and it was just great fun. I loved it. Some of the players were really really competitive. Some were really really good. I just loved it. It gave us a chance to get closer and be close friends and also relieved us from the horrible days at work. We were the ESW gang.

Back home, there was a more organized basketball team. They would rent a real basketball court for an hour and a half for us to play. I was the only girl.
I got some really good exercise there, and made some great friends. I was in really good shape and ran as fast as the guys, so that was an advantage. We played once a week and I would have loved it if it was even twice a week. During the year I really improved all my skills.

I wish we could do this again.

tags:

tags:

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?