href="http://technorati.com/blogs/what%27s+on+my+mind+today" rel="tag directory">what's on my mind today.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

 

pants on fire

Save to RawSugar

A few days ago, we went to the public playground. It is a nice play ground with large grass area and a place for kids to play soccer. For the younger crowd, there are slides and other fun stuff.

Through the corner of my eyes I saw a group of kids, later I learned they are fourth graders, huddled around at the far end of the park. I thought to myself that I should keep an eye on them, if they are huddled like that, they must be up to something.

Sure enough, not even a second after the thought had crossed my mind, I saw a blazing fire from two of the bushes. At first I thought I wasn't seeing well, since it is a bit far, but no! It sure was a fire. Strange enough, none of the other people noticed the fire. The bushes themselves were not blazing , yet, but all the dry leaves on the ground, with the aid of the wind, were catching fire very quickly.
I was afraid that the appartment buildings behind the bushes will catch fire as well.

I called the fire department immediately. I called to one of the guys who were there and pointed out the fire. He quickly went towards the dangerous area to make sure the kids are not getting close to the fire. I gave them my pail and they took sand from the playground to throw at the fire. They brought some bottles of water too.

By the time the fire truck arrived, the fire was out, there was still smoke everywhere. The firemen used the hose and lots of water to drown the whole area so the fire won't re-ignite.

Now I ask you, shouldn't fourth graders know better? What were they trying to do?
The kid who lit up the fire said he wanted to see what would happen if he threw a burning match at the bushes. Of course when the fire was blazing, he split and let his classmates "take the heat".

tags:

Comments:
Boys...hormones...flames...

Most of us get over it, but it is unfortunately a guy thing. Say, "Fire," to a boy under maybe 16 and see the gleam and smile.

You manufacturered your own little arsonist, too.

We and our house have survived and we trained three boys. We know it can be done, but we also know that matches and lighters call to them.

Don't ask if fourth graders shouldn't know better. It's a feeling, a drive. Ya gotta watch 'em and teach 'em.
 
Any suggestions on how to train?
I mean my little one knows he is not allowed to eat the cat's food, but numorous times I caught him gowing to hear bowl and tasting delightfully her food.
My food ... yack let's chuck it out, but cat 'not allowed' food... yummmmmmmmmm
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?