href="http://technorati.com/blogs/what%27s+on+my+mind+today" rel="tag directory">what's on my mind today.

Friday, June 09, 2006

 

The Sting

Save to RawSugar

He was miraculous. It was said that he has been here about ten years ago. I must have been sleeping to have missed that too. Sting came here and gave an amazing performace. He filled up a soccer stadium (about 25,000 people showed up) WOW.

I had so much fun. His song repertoire included songs from the Police and solo Sting songs from all his years of music making. The band was a small rock type band, which consisted of two electic guitars, Sting on the bass guitar and the drummer (who by the way was awesome and energetic throughout the whole concert). He did not take any breaks and sang for an hour and half, just like listening to a CD recording, but live. It was just great. He sounded great.

We sure were hungry after the concert. We decided to stop at the Pancake House. It must have been midnight and the chariot was soon to turn back into a pumpkin.

I have this rule. I never leave my handbag or purse out of my sight. It is always on me or very close to me. I heard too many stories of people who have had their wallet stolen, even in the office (right out of thier own room), and I wasn't going to let that happen to me.

It was a choice between the booth or the table and chairs. My preference was the booth, but I was overruled. I hung the handbag on the side of my chair leaning backwards with one hand always on the bag.

I guess I was so mesmorized by the concert and sooooo hungry, I let myself dive into the food without paying attention.

As we got to the car, I opened the purse and terror struck me. It was gone. My wallet was gone. My camera was gone. Gone, gone, gone. And to top it all off, my eye glasses were broken in two. I immediately ran back to the restaurant to see if the culprits were still their. They were long gone.

I was quiet. I was angry. How could this have happened to me. To me. To me. To me. TO ME!!!! I am always so cautious, so suspicious, so benevolently alert.

Most people don't understand me. When things go wrong I usually close up. They think I am depressed but I am not. I really need to stay away from everyone. I don't need to talk about it, but I do need to do two things - sort out my feelings and my thoughts. What I realy need is some piece and quiet, to be left alone. No need for consolation, just let me be.

In terms of my feelings, I was mad as hell. I am sure if I had caught them, I would have taught them a lesson or two. With my bare hands.

In terms of my thoughts there were two things I needed to do:

It was obvious that the only time I took my hand off my purse was when I was eating. Although I sucked in the pancakes like a vacuume cleaner, they had enough time to reach into the handbag and take their loot.

My conclusions

If you must take a large purse or handbag, make sure

Of course someone can run off with the whole handbag and we are back to square one. So

Material things come ago. We can learn lessons from other people's mistakes. We can learn lessons from our own bad experiences. We cannot move the clock back and relive the day.

I was stung, and the scars will stay with me for a long time.

I hope that in time I will be able to reminisce about the Sting and forget about the sting.


Tags:


Comments:
Very frustrating, Mic. I'm sorry to see that.

I worked with a guy at Zoom lo those decades ago who turned philosophical and whimsical at such times. He'd smirk and say, "It's a scary world."

I don't think I know a woman who has never been pickpocketed, mostly as happened to you -- the purse on the chair. I mean, it's right there! How could that happen?

Those sleazes are quick and efficient. One may have even lifted the purse and returned it after a trip to the john. Supposedly they can grab one with an umbrella handle.

Purses let you carry a lot of junk, but there's something to be said for pockets only. At least when you're seated picking pockets is tougher.

I think I know the sensation of violation. Right after I married, guys cleaned out our apartment while we were at work, taking everything of real or personal value. I was so angry, not having anyone specific to blame or find or punish. We didn't laugh about it until about six months later when we were going on a trip. We realized then that, of course, they had stolen our luggage to carry all that stuff away in as inconspicuously as possible. No suitcases and we hadn't even put those on the police report.

Oh, yeah, the IRS audited and made us prove, get receipts for and even get notes from friends and relatives for valuable gifts. A pox on the agent's house!
 
I agree about the "scarey world".
We just have to think that not everyone is like us.

I try to believe in the good nature of mankind (with some note of suspiciousness) and if I were careless I would have not been as mad as I was.

Of course when someone cleans out your apartment , that is much much worse.
luggages - they probably used that to put all the good stuff and carry it.

Mean mean people. But I am over it.
I have not bought a wallet yet... I guess I should do it, though :-)

Thank you for your kind words. I hope this is a once in a lifetime experience (for both of us!!)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?